Inclement Weather Procedures
When bad weather is predicted, administrators pay close attention to forecasts, stay in close contact with neighboring district administrators and work in coordination with transportation in order to make the best decision for the safety and security of students and staff.
Before the school day: The decision to cancel or delay a school day will be made by the district administration as early as possible and communicated by the district and local radio and TV stations (details below).
During the school day: If a significant weather event occurs while school is in session, campus administrators are the assigned decision-makers for appropriate action as needed to ensure the safety of students and staff. Campus administrators stay in contact with MISD Police and district administrators to help make the best informed decisions for their school.
Weather and road conditions can vary greatly from area to area. As a result, parents are the ultimate decision-makers on whether or not their students will attend school. Parents need to notify the school office if their student will not be in school or if they should be dismissed early due to weather conditions.
Communication: During bad weather situations, Mansfield ISD will use the following communication channels if there are any changes to the district schedule:
- The district's phone and e-mail mass notification system.
(Your information must be updated in Skyward to receive the alerts.)
- The MISD homepage
- The MISD mobile app
- MISD's Facebook and Twitter pages
- Weather info webpage
- DFW radio and TV news outlets
WBAP 820 AM - www.wbap.com
KRLD 1080 AM - www.krld.com
KLTY 94.9 FM - www.klty.com
Dallas/Fort Worth Television Channels:
FOX 4 - www.myfoxdfw.com
NBC 5 - www.nbc5i.com
WFAA 8 - www.wfaa.com
CBS 11 - www.dfwcbslocal.com
Severe Storms, Tornadoes and Flooding: During these types of weather events, note the following measures Mansfield ISD takes to keep students and staff safe.
- MISD will keep students safely in the building until inclement weather passes.
- Safe places have been established for each MISD campus and building; students and staff will gather in these safe places.
- MISD Police stays in constant communication with local emergency services and advises campus administrators when the need arises to implement school procedures, such as duck and cover, red alert, and shelter in place (lockdown).
- Any buses in the immediate area of inclement weather will be stopped at the nearest school, and the students will be kept in that campus until the danger passes.
- Since the district covers 94.5 square miles, measures will be taken based on the needs of only the affected campus(es).
Snow, Sleet and Ice: During these types of weather events, note the following measures Mansfield ISD takes to keep students and staff safe.
- Around 4 a.m., a decision is made to deploy the transportation weather team staff.
- The weather team visually inspects various areas across the district of streets for icy, wet or dry roads while monitoring the weather information channels.
- The weather team contacts the director of transportation with the road information.
- Road conditions are analyzed along with other related information available from other school districts.
- If roads are questionable, the superintendent is contacted to discuss findings and recommendations.
- The superintendent tries to make the decision whether or not to close schools by 5:30 a.m.
If winter weather conditions worsen during the school day, the district determines if an early release is needed to get the students home sooner and bus drivers back to the bus headquarters safely prior to darkness.
Bad Weather Makeup Days
Mansfield ISD designates two bad weather days on the district calendar. If the district closes due to weather, those days are used to make up missed school and work. View the district calendar here.
Please note that the high school A/B block schedule is not altered when a day is missed because of bad weather. Students still return to the day that is stated on the A/B calendar. (For example: if an "A" day is missed, and the following school day is noted as a "B" day on the calendar, students will return to their "B" day classes. The "A" day will be made up at a later date.) View the A/B calendar here.