Virtual Learning Option
In light of the continued rising number of COVID-19 cases, Mansfield ISD has decided to offer a virtual learning option (VLO) for parents who have concerns about sending students who are not eligible to be vaccinated back in person.
Although the Texas Legislature has not made funding options for virtual learning available for the 2021-22 school year, MISD has determined that we can use a portion of our Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief (ESSER) funds to offer a 12-week virtual option.
Virtual Learning to End on Oct. 29
Mansfield ISD's temporary virtual learning option will conclude at the end of the second six weeks on Friday, Oct. 29.
After a thorough assessment of our health and safety protocols and COVID-19 case levels trending at 1% or below, the district has decided to only offer the originally planned 12-week virtual option. (The option was created for those with concerns about sending students ineligible to be vaccinated back for in-person instruction.)
If you have specific concerns regarding special health circumstances, please feel free to reach out to staff at VirtualLearning@misdmail.org.
About the Virtual Learning Option
The virtual option is available to students in kindergarten through sixth grade only (K-6), as they are currently not eligible to receive the COVID-19 vaccine. MISD has committed to funding the virtual instruction program for 12 weeks and will continually monitor and assess the situation.
Virtual learning at both the elementary and intermediate levels will consist of a combination of synchronous (live) and asynchronous (self-guided) learning. If virtual learners are not engaged and successful, they will be moved to in-person learning following a conference with the parent. NOTE: Choice schools cannot be offered in the virtual option at this time.
A separate application for virtual instruction is necessary even if you’ve already registered your child for the 2021-22 school year. The deadline to apply for virtual instruction is Monday, Aug. 16 at 11:59 p.m. (View a diagram of instructions here.) Parents will be notified on Aug. 17 if their student has been accepted into the virtual learning program.
Virtual Learning Expectations
- Students are committing to virtual learning for the first and second six weeks which ends on Oct. 29.
- Students are required to use an MISD-issued device. (Grades K-2 will receive iPads; Grades 3-6 will receive Chromebooks.)
- Students are required to come to their home campus to take district assessments.
- Students are expected to be in attendance for synchronous (live) sessions and be actively engaged in the learning process.
- Students are expected to have their cameras turned on at all times.
- Parents are expected to support their child to ensure a positive and effective learning environment.
- Monday, August 23 - First day of device deployment
- Tuesday, August 24 - Teams Live Parent Orientation @ 5:30 p.m.; Second day of device deployment
Wednesday, August 25 - First day of school for virtual learners
Thursday, August 26 - Friday, August 27 - Makeup days for virtual device deployments
Friday, October 29 - Final day of second semester; last day of virtual instruction
Virtual Parent Orientation
Mansfield ISD hosted a Teams Live parent orientation on Tuesday, August 24 at 5:30 p.m. for all parents taking part in the Virtual Learning Academy. MISD staff discussed the program, spoke about requirements and answered questions live.
District-Issued Device Deployment
A district-issued device is required for all students enrolled in the K-6 virtual learning option. Please read the details below for more information on how to obtain a district-issued device.
- Eligible students:
- Grades K-2 virtual students will receive iPads. (This applies to new and existing students.)
- Grades 3-6 virtual students will receive Chromebooks. (This applies to new or existing students without an MISD-issued device.)
- If you have a third grade student with an iPad, it will need to be returned in order to be issued a Chromebook.
- Deployment dates: Monday, August 23 and Tuesday, August 24
- Deployment times: 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Deployment location: Mansfield ISD Center for the Performing Arts, located at 1110 W. Debbie Lane, Mansfield, TX 76063
- Makeup dates, times and location: Thursday, August 26 [ 8 a.m. - 11 a.m./ 1 p.m. - 4 p.m.] and Friday, August 27 [1 p.m.- 4 p.m.] at MISD Technology (1522 North Walnut Creek, Mansfield, TX 76063)
- Please be prepared to provide the following:
- Your student’s name
- Your student’s campus and grade level
- Your student’s six-digit ID number
(If you do not know your student’s ID number, please look up the number in Skyward under the “Student Info” Tab labeled “Other ID.”)
When you arrive, please park your car and enter the front of the building. You will be asked what campus your student will attend. You will then be directed to the appropriate table to receive your child’s device.
Frequently Asked Questions
We understand there may be many questions on how the virtual learning option will look within Mansfield ISD. Please review the files below for the latest answers to questions concerning enrollment, instruction and support. If you have any additional questions, please contact your campus.
View MISD's current health and safety protocols here.
Read the superintendent’s letter here.
This page will be updated as needed to equip the public with the latest information.