Student Health Advisory Committee (SHAC)
A SHAC is a state-mandated advisory council appointed by the school board. Members are approved by the school board for a one-year term. It is made up of parents, community members, students, and school staff working together to improve the health of all students and families through coordinated school health programs.
Why do we need a School Health Advisory Council (SHAC)?
- It is Texas law.
- Healthy children learn better.
- Schools play an important role in teaching healthy habits.
- Healthy homes and healthy schools support healthy children.
What is included in a coordinated school health program (CSHP)? The components of a coordinated school health program include:
- Family and community involvement
- Nutrition services
- Physical education
- Health education
- Counseling, psychological and social services
- Health services
- Healthy school environment
- Health promotion for school staff
SHAC Meeting Agendas
October 2018 | November 2018 | February 2019 | March 2019
2018-19 Annual Report
MISD District Members
- Holly McCanlies, Director of Guidance & Counseling
- Kelle Kirkland, Health Services Trainer
- Michelle Hurst, K-12 Health Coordinator
- Amy Senato, K-12 P.E. Coordinator/Intermediate Parent
- Shannon Utley, Health Teacher at Summit HS
- Rita Denton, Student Nutrition
- Tara Harris, Boren Elementary Parent
- Nicole McCulloch, Boren Elementary & Low Intermediate Parent
- Tawana Gray, Howard Middle Parent
- Cindy Flowers, Legacy High Parent
- Rebekka Garcia, Jobe Middle and Legacy High Parent
- Nicole Woolridge, Mansfield High Parent
- Dawn Stewart, Summit High Parent
- Latonya Jackson, Lake Ridge High Parent
- Donna Crimmins-Bonnell, Director of Quality @ Methodist Mansfield Medical Center
- Faith Godwin, Mansfield High Student
- Jae Stewart, Summit High Student
- Sunbola Adesanya, Timberview High Student
- Thomas Dorosky, Frontier High Student
- Benjamin Garcia, Legacy High Student
- Mikiyah Keaton, Lake Ridge High Student
Interested in participating in the SHAC committee? Please contact Michelle Hurst at email@example.com.
SHAC Helpful Links