Mansfield ISD Honors Veterans Day
Posted 11/07/2017 08:42AM
Every year, Mansfield ISD is proud to honor the men and women who served in the U.S. Armed Forces.
Veterans Day is a federal holiday celebrated annually on Nov. 11, and several MISD campuses will hold special breakfasts, programs and events to honor military veterans.
New this year, Mansfield ISD will be partnering with the City of Mansfield and many other local entities to participate in the city’s first Veterans Day parade.
View details of other district and campus events below.
- Veterans Day Parade - Mansfield ISD will be taking part in the City of Mansfield’s inaugural Veterans Day Parade on Saturday, Nov. 11 at 10 a.m. Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps (JROTC) cadets from each traditional high school will be participating along with the Legacy High School and Mansfield High School bands. (View the parade route here.) After the parade, there will be an honorary salute. Top Gun will then play at Farr Best Theater at 2 p.m.
- Veterans Day Program - All community veterans are invited to attend a special Veterans Day tribute at the MISD Center for the Performing Arts on Tuesday, Nov. 7 at 7 p.m. Students in the fine arts program will perform to show their appreciation to those who have served.
- Charlotte Anderson Elementary - Anderson Elementary will have an assembly in which students will sing and veterans who are present at the event will be recognized. Prior to the assembly, veterans will be invited for a special reception.
- J.L. Boren Elementary - Boren Elementary will host a program to honor veterans from the school and community on Friday, Nov. 10 at 8:30 a.m. Students will be singing patriotic songs at the event. Following the program, there will be breakfast for guests to enjoy.
- Janet Brockett Elementary - Brockett Elementary will begin the day on Friday, Nov. 10 with a flag ceremony by the flagpoles at 8 a.m. Veterans and their student will attend the ceremony. Veterans will then be invited for a light breakfast. The rest of the campus body will celebrate veterans through classroom activities.
- Louise Cabaniss Elementary - Cabaniss Elementary will host a special ceremony for veterans on Friday, Nov. 10 at 8:30 a.m. During the ceremony, each veteran will be introduced and the Cabaniss Choir will be one of the performing acts. Veterans will be invited for breakfast after the ceremony and will have the opportunity to read aloud to their child’s class.
- Anna May Daulton Elementary - Daulton Elementary will continue its Veterans Day Breakfast and Celebration tradition, which is sponsored by its PTA. On Friday, Nov. 10, veterans will join the school’s patriotic celebration, which includes songs from students and a special tribute by the Lake Ridge High School Wind Symphony. A wall of honor is also on display to highlight veterans.
- Kenneth Davis Elementary - Davis Elementary will have an assembly on Friday, Nov. 10 at 8:20 a.m. in which students will sing, and veterans who are present at the event will be recognized. Prior to the assembly, veterans will be invited for a special reception in the cafeteria.
- Carol Holt Elementary - Holt Elementary will hold a reception for veterans on Friday, Nov. 10 at 8:30 a.m. After the reception, the veterans will be escorted to the gym where students will celebrate their entrance. A program will then ensue, which will feature the showing of flags, pledges, students singing and a retired army lieutenant colonel as the guest speaker.
- Thelma Jones Elementary - Jones Elementary will host a program on Friday, Nov. 10 at 8 a.m. Former school board president Dr. Michael Evans will be the guest speaker. The third-grade students will sing a few patriotic songs. Timberview High School’s choir, drill team, and JROTC cadets will also perform.
- Judy K. Miller Elementary - Miller Elementary will have an afternoon celebration for veterans on Friday, Nov. 10 at 2 p.m. The event will begin with a reception for veterans, followed by a parade and a performance in which the entire campus will take part.
- Nancy Neal Elementary - Neal Elementary students and staff will wear red, white and blue on Friday, Nov. 10. At 8 a.m., a marine will share with students what it means to be a veteran. Students will then sing the national anthem and write thank you cards for veterans, which will be delivered to the Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) Post in Arlington.
- Annette Perry Elementary - Perry Elementary will host a music program and veteran recognition on Friday, Nov. 10 at 2 p.m. Student and staff family members who are veterans are encouraged to attend the celebration.
- Martha Reid Leadership Academy - Reid Leadership Academy is holding its annual Veterans Day program on Friday, Nov. 10. The school and invited veteran family members will come together to celebrate the nation’s heroes. Students will sing special tributes to all the Armed Forces, patriotic student artwork will be displayed and students will do a military workout. Mansfield High School cheerleaders will also participate in the program.
- Mary Jo Sheppard Elementary - Sheppard Elementary will conduct its annual Veterans Day assembly on Friday, Nov. 10 at 8:15 a.m. The choir will present a musical program, and veterans in attendance will be recognized. Veterans will also be treated to a brunch following the program. There will also be a wall of honor for pictures of present-day soldiers and veterans who were not able to attend.
- Elizabeth Smith Elementary - Smith Elementary will host its annual Bring a Veteran to Lunch event on Friday, Nov. 10. Veterans who come will have a seat of honor for lunch, and each grade level will perform a special tribute song during their lunchtime.
- Cora Spencer Elementary - Spencer Elementary will have a breakfast for veterans on Friday, Nov. 10 at 7:15 a.m. The event is sponsored by the school’s PTA. A small parade with the veterans through the hallways will follow.
- Roberta Tipps Elementary - Tipps Elementary is holding an evening Veterans Day concert for any and all veterans in our community on Thursday, Nov. 9 at 6:30 p.m. Students will be performing patriotic songs at the event. Students are also encouraged to send pictures of their relatives who are veterans so they can be displayed at the concert. Light refreshments will be served afterward.
- Cross Timbers Intermediate - Cross Timbers Intermediate will have recruiters from each branch of the military giving presentations to students during the morning on Friday, Nov. 10. Veterans are also invited to eat lunch and cake with their students.
- Della Icenhower Intermediate - Icenhower Intermediate will host its second annual Veterans Day Breakfast on Friday, Nov. 10 at 8 a.m. The breakfast is catered by Ben Barber Innovation Academy students. Faculty and student family members who are retired or active military personnel can attend. The students write letters of appreciation to give to the special guests, and each veteran is personally recognized.
- Mary Lillard Intermediate - Lillard Intermediate is observing Veterans Day on Friday, Nov. 10. The hallways will be transformed into walls of honor depicting veterans in the family of students and staff. Nov. 10 is also the school’s career day, so veterans will be part of the lineup of speakers.
- Mary Orr Intermediate - Mary Orr Intermediate is creating sweet memories for its veterans and family members. School staff will serve desserts to veterans and their family members during lunch on Friday, Nov. 10.
- Donna Shepard Intermediate - Shepard Intermediate will host a breakfast for veterans on Friday, Nov. 10. At 7:45 a.m. It is being sponsored by a local church. The art club will create the decorations and the choir will sing at the breakfast.
- James Coble Middle - Coble Middle will have breakfast for veterans and active military personnel on Friday, Nov. 10 at 8:15 a.m. A Veterans Day pep rally will later begin in the school’s gym at 9 a.m to honor the men and women who have served the country.
- Linda Jobe Middle - Jobe Middle will have a Veterans Day assembly on Friday, Nov. 10 at 2:30 p.m. The event will feature patriotic music, a speaker, and other performances to honor veterans.
- Danny Jones Middle - Jones Middle will first host a breakfast for veterans on Friday, Nov. 10. Then, veterans will be invited to attend an assembly in their honor. The school’s band and choir will perform, and there will be a military guest speaker.
- Brooks Wester Middle - Wester Middle will host a Veterans Day breakfast and assembly on Monday, Nov. 13. The breakfast will be for invited veteran guests. The schoolwide assembly will then begin at 9 a.m.
- Rogene Worley Middle - Worley Middle will have a ceremony at the flagpole on Friday, Nov. 10 at 7:45 a.m., followed by a reception in the library. Students will invite veterans from their families to attend and honor them for their service.
- Lake Ridge High - Lake Ridge High will host an honorary breakfast on Friday, Nov. 10 for family members and staff members who have served in the military. The veterans will be recognized and celebrated on campus with various activities throughout the day. The JROTC cadets will participate in the City of Mansfield’s inaugural Veterans Day Parade on Saturday, Nov. 11.
- Legacy High - Legacy High JROTC cadets will conduct a ceremony at the flagpoles on Friday, Nov. 10 at 7:05 a.m. to honor all veterans. Along with student and teacher tributes in the classroom, the student council will honor veterans with a special luncheon beginning at 10:50 a.m. The JROTC cadets will also participate in the City of Mansfield’s inaugural Veterans Day Parade on Saturday, Nov. 11.
- Mansfield High - Mansfield High JROTC cadets are leading the City of Mansfield’s inaugural Veterans Day Parade on Saturday, Nov. 11. The cheerleaders will participate in a Veterans Day event at Martha Reid Leadership Academy on Friday, Nov. 10.
- The Phoenix Academy - The Phoenix Academy will host a breakfast on Thursday, Nov. 9 for invited veterans. The breakfast will be followed by a schoolwide assembly. At the assembly, former service members will be speaking about their military experience.
- Summit High - Summit High will conduct a mock Oath of Office on Friday, Nov. 10 at 12:15 p.m. because it speaks to the ideals of a veteran’s commitment and service to the country. Meanwhile, pictures honoring veterans will be displayed. Students and staff will have an opportunity to thank the veterans who were invited. The JROTC cadets will also participate in the City of Mansfield’s inaugural Veterans Day Parade on Saturday, Nov. 11.
- Timberview High - Timberview High student organizations will take part in the Veterans Day program at Thelma Jones Elementary School on Friday, Nov. 10. The JROTC cadets will also participate in the City of Mansfield’s inaugural Veterans Day Parade on Saturday, Nov. 11.
(Note: This list will be updated as necessary.)