The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Department of Energy (DOE) honored Mansfield ISD with its second Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence: Energy Management award for outstanding contributions to protecting the environment through energy efficiency.
“This is the second major honor the district has received this year acknowledging our energy management program,” said MISD Superintendent Dr. Jim Vaszauskas, referring to the Texas Environmental Excellence Award presented to the district last month. “A key component of our program is that it not only allows us to steward our resources well, it also allows us to teach our students, parents and community how they can help save energy as well.”
Mansfield Independent School District serves over 33,000 students across more than 6 million square feet of building area. An ENERGY STAR® partner since 2006, the district is committed to energy conservation, and encourages its students and community to join them in saving energy at school and at home.
This is the fourth consecutive year that the district has won the ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year Award, which first qualified the district for the ENERGY STAR Sustained Excellence Award in 2016.
Key 2016 accomplishments include:
- Earning more ENERGY STAR re-certifications than any district in the state of Texas—40 schools have earned a total of 275 ENERGY STAR re-certifications in the past 10 years.
- Reducing utility costs by more than $1.60 million using ENERGY STAR tools and resources, improving energy efficiency by more than 22 percent across district schools, and cutting more than 4,800 metric tons of greenhouse gas emissions in 2016.
- Saving more than $6.9 million since 2012 by working with Cenergistic and benchmarking district buildings in ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager®.
- Inspiring nearly a 1,000 students to take the ENERGY STAR Pledge to save energy.
- Communicating the value of ENERGY STAR to internal and external audiences through presentations and encouraging a culture in which energy-efficient behaviors are practiced at home, as well as at school.
View more information about the ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year Award.