Mansfield ISD is proud to recognize and celebrate military veterans, the men and women who served in the U.S. Armed Forces.
Veterans Day is a federal holiday observed annually on Nov. 11. MISD schools and offices will be closed in honor of the observance. However, several MISD campuses will hold special breakfasts, programs and events to honor military veterans.
The events are free to the public, and local veterans are welcome to attend. View details of each district and campus events below.
- Veterans Day Parade - Mansfield ISD will be taking part in the City of Mansfield’s third annual Veterans Day Parade on Saturday, Nov. 9 at 10 a.m. Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps (JROTCs) from MISD high schools will be participating along with the Legacy High School and Timberview High School bands. After the parade, there will be an honorary salute and patriotic concert. View more information here.
- Veterans Day Concert - All community veterans are invited to attend a special Veterans Day tribute at the MISD Center for the Performing Arts on Thursday, Nov. 7 at 7 p.m. Students from Mansfield High School and Asa Low Intermediate School will perform to show their appreciation to those who have served.
- Charlotte Anderson Elementary - Anderson Elementary will be hosting a Veterans Day celebration on Friday, Nov. 8 at 8:15 a.m. State Senator Brian Birdwell, a U.S. Army veteran and 9/11 attack survivor, will be the guest speaker.
- Louise Cabaniss Elementary - Cabaniss Elementary will host a special ceremony for veterans on Friday, Nov. 8 at 8:30 a.m. Third-graders will perform, and breakfast will be served to all veterans in attendance.
- Anna May Daulton Elementary - Daulton Elementary will be celebrating and honoring veterans on Friday, Nov. 8. Festivities will begin at 7:15 a.m. with a light breakfast for veterans. A ceremony will be held at 8 a.m. featuring choir students and the Lake Ridge High School band.
- Imogene Gideon Elementary - Gideon Elementary is having a Veterans Day breakfast on Tuesday, Nov. 12 from 7:15 to 8 a.m. in the library. Community members and family members who are veterans, active duty or first responders are invited to attend. A few of the campus clubs will also perform for them.
- Carol Holt Elementary - Holt Elementary will host a veterans celebration on Tuesday, Nov. 12. A breakfast for veterans will begin at 8:15 a.m. The program will begin at 9 a.m. and will consist of a special guest speaker, a fourth-grade choir performance and the Legacy High School drumline.
- Thelma Jones Elementary - Jones Elementary will host a Veterans Day breakfast and program on Friday, Nov. 8 at 8 a.m. Students are encouraged to invite a family member who is a veteran.
- Judy K. Miller Elementary - Miller Elementary will celebrate Veterans Day on Tuesday, Nov. 12. The campus will have a reception in the library at 1:30 p.m. At 2 p.m., a ceremony for veterans will begin. Students will sing, veterans will be recognized with certificates and an active military parent will be the emcee. Cadets from Lake Ridge High School will present the colors.
- Erma Nash Elementary - Nash Elementary students will participate in a schoolwide parade to honor veterans on Friday, Nov. 8 starting at 1:45 p.m. Students will be given flags to hold, and patriotic songs will be played. A small reception will follow for veterans, which will feature a performance by fourth-graders.
- Annette Perry Elementary - Perry Elementary’s Veterans Day program will be held on Friday, Nov. 8 at 8 a.m. There will be a posting of colors, an acknowledgement of the different branches of military and a public honoring of all guest veterans.
- Martha Reid Academy - Reid Academy will welcome community veterans to its campus on Friday, Nov. 8. Students will perform during their enrichment times. There will be singing, tributes, special performances and more.
- Cora Spencer Elementary - Spencer Elementary will be celebrating Veterans Day on Friday, Nov. 8 with a breakfast and short program for veterans at 7:15 a.m. and a parade through the school at 8 a.m. Community veterans have been invited to attend.
- Elizabeth Smith Academy - Smith Academy will be hosting is annual Bring a Veteran to Lunch Day on Friday, Nov. 8 beginning at 10:45 a.m. Students are encouraged to invite all family members who are veterans to come have lunch and sit at a table of honor. A brief musical tribute will be performed by students, and all veterans will receive a token of appreciation for their service.
- Roberta Tipps Elementary - Tipps Elementary is hosting a Veterans Day program on Friday, Nov. 8 at 2:15 p.m. There will be a special performance by the third-graders. Veterans will be presented with a rose to show our appreciation for their service. There will also be a Wall of Honor on display to honor community veterans.
- Tarver-Rendon Academy - Tarver-Rendon Academy will host a schoolwide Veterans Day program on Friday, Nov. 8. Veterans will be speaking to students about their time in the military. There will be a Wall of Honor on display in the halls to showcase family members who are veterans. Each grade level also created patriotic artwork.
- Cross Timbers Intermediate - Cross Timbers Intermediate will honor veterans during all lunches on Friday, Nov. 8. Students are encouraged to invite a relative or family friend who is a veteran to join them for lunch. In the morning, students will be learning about the military, participating in patriotic karaoke and sending “thank you” packages to troops.
- Della Icenhower Intermediate - Icenhower Intermediate will have its annual Veterans Day breakfast on Friday, Nov. 15 at 8 a.m. to honor families who serve or have served in the military. Culinary students from Ben Barber Innovation Academy will make and serve the breakfast.
- Mary Lillard Intermediate - Lillard Intermediate students will honor veterans by creating Walls of Honor in their team area. Students will have the opportunity to research family members who have served in the armed forces and create posters to display in the hallway honoring the veterans who are part of our school community.
- Donna Shepard Academy - Shepard Academy will be hosting a Veterans Day breakfast on Friday, Nov. 8 at 7:30 a.m. Students with family members who are veterans have been asked to invite them to the event.
- T.A. Howard Middle - Howard Middle will participate in Penny Wars on Nov. 4 through Nov. 8 and donate the proceeds to the Veterans Initiative Program. There will also be classroom lessons about Veterans Day. Summit High School’s band will march through the halls playing patriotic music on Friday, Nov. 8.
- Linda Jobe Middle - Jobe Middle will honor veterans who are the family members of students on Friday, Nov. 8. A program, featuring the school choir and band, will begin in the gym at approximately at 2:30 p.m. A veteran has been invited to be the guest speaker.
- Danny Jones Middle - Jones Middle will be honoring family members who veterans on Tuesday, Nov. 12. There will be a breakfast meet-and-greet at 8 a.m. followed by a Veterans Day program at 9 a.m. The DJMS band and choir will perform. Lake Ridge High School’s ROTC will present the colors. The guest speaker will be Navy veteran who also works in administration for the district.
- Brooks Wester Middle / Jerry Knight STEM Academy - Wester Middle and the STEM Academy will host a Veterans Day breakfast on Friday, Nov. 8. Students are asked to invite veterans to the breakfast. At 9 a.m., a schoolwide assembly will be held.
- Lake Ridge High - Lake Ridge High will honor veterans on Friday, Nov. 8, by hosting a breakfast for teachers who are veterans, family members of students who are veterans and the surrounding community of veterans. The campus will also have activities and decorations throughout the day.
- Legacy High - Legacy High will host Hero Week on Nov. 4 through Nov. 8. Each day will highlight another branch of service, and staff members and students will be encouraged to wear the service colors of the day. On Friday, Nov. 8, a Veterans Day lunch will be held starting at 11 a.m.
- The Phoenix Academy - The Phoenix Academy will host a breakfast for veterans on Friday, Nov. 8 at 8 a.m. The breakfast will be followed by an assembly in which veterans will share their experiences from serving in the military with students.
- Timberview High - Timberview High’s Air Force Junior ROTC Color Guard will be performing the flag presentation for Thelma Jones Elementary School’s and Imogene Gideon Elementary School's Veterans Day program. The cadets also presented the colors, served and did cleanup for a Military Appreciation Dinner at the Elks Lodge in Arlington.
(Note: This list will be updated as necessary.)