Transportation Operations Highlights
Mansfield ISD transportation operations comparison to stateTied for 33rd largest operation with district enrollment of 35,000 or more students.(94 square miles; 45 schools; 4-tier bell system with an early morning high school alternative program run)
- Overall the 19th largest operation in the state
- Route miles driven - 17th most miles driven in the state
- Buses owned - 23rd largest fleet.
- Student Ridership - 20th highest reported daily ridership
In the News
June 15, 2022 - Congratulations to MISD Training Specialists Gretchen Chapman-Warner and Charles Quarles. Gretchen and Charles placed second and third respectively in the annual School Bus Safety Road-e-o competition held on June 11, 2022. The competition is sponsored by the Texas Association for Pupil Transportation. Both specialists qualified at the regional level to compete at the state level against the best drivers in the state. The success of Gretchen and Charles demonstrates the skill level of the professionals in Mansfield ISD's Transportation Department.
May 12, 2022 - Congratulations to BreAnna Larry, a second generation bus driver, on her recent win of the 2022 MISD Shining Star Award. The award, honoring non-teaching staff members for their exceptional service and contributions to students and staff, was given at the MISD Employee Recognition Banquet on May 12. During her eight years as a bus driver, Ms. Larry enjoys building trusting relationships with students while providing them with a safe and friendly environment. The most rewarding part of of her job is being able to start the students' mornings off with a bright and friendly smile.
May 17, 2021 - The 2021 Shining Star Award recipients are Mark Williamson, Kim Murphree and Martavius McDonald. Mr. McDonald is an MISD bus driver. He has a passion for what he does and for serving students. He treats every student as if they were his own and is known for his welcoming demeanor, positive energy and encouraging nature with all of his students.
April 16, 2021 - A Mansfield ISD mechanic recently achieved the status of World Class Technician, which is one of highest in the industry! There have only been 2,000 technicians in the past 30 years to earn that title.
November 19, 2019 - We know our bus drivers are caring, so it's no surprise that Mary Lane was featured on NBC 5 for making life easier for one of her riders who had to ride the bus without his older brother for the first time. Thanks for putting students first! View the video.
August 17, 2019 - Members of the Mansfield ISD Transportation Department already knew it, but now they have the awards to prove it—their mechanics are some of the best in the state.
Components of Transportation Operations
Number of buses: 292 (Yellow - 277; White - 15)
Miles driven: 2.4+ million annually for route services (2.7+ million total)
- Regular program routes - 1.5+ million
- Curriculum/Academic routes - 42,000
- Special Program routes - 736,000
- Career and Technology routes - 140,000
Average daily ridership: 14,562
- Regular Program - 10,756
- Curriculum/Academic - 1039
- Special Program - 1,328
- Career and Technology - 2,478
- Daily number of passengers - 29,124
- Yearly number of passengers - 5,000,933
Number of Routes: 312
- Regular Program routes - 135
- Curriculum/Academic routes - 70
- Special Program routes - 48
- Career Technology routes - 64
Number of employees: 281
- Drivers - 183
- Attendants - 49
- Training Specialist - 12
- Shop - 14
- Support/Administrative staff - 23
Extracurricular, Athletics, Field Trips
- Trip request yearly - 3,256
- Buses used yearly - 4,650
- Mileage driven yearly - 221,000
- Passengers transported yearly - 165,000
- ASE Certified shop
- 12 mechanics and 2 supervisors
- Buses repaired or serviced yearly - 1541
- Repairs/service line items yearly - 5,722
- Fuel storage capacity - 80,000 gallons
- Transaction - 39,185
- Gallons pumped - 680,245 (442,004 diesel, 238,240 gas)
- We provide fuel for the city of Mansfield
- Active and monitoring cameras - 910
Other Unique Components
- Designated by DPS as a 3rd-party testing site for administering the CDL road test and Commercial Learner Permit written exams. (Four certified DPS examiners on staff.)
- Two in-house TEA 20-hour Texas School Bus Driver Safety Training certification course instructors.
- 16 staff members certified through Texas A&M Train-the-Trainer TEEX program as school bus driving instructors.
- In-house NAPA parts store
- Only ASE Blue Seal certified public school repair facility in the state.
- MISD mechanics placed 1st and 3rd in 2019 state competition.
- ASE World Class certified technician on staff.
- Our own Transportation University.
- Our own YouTube channel with the most viewed Pre-Trip instructional video on YouTube.