The Texas Education Agency in collaboration with Statewide Leadership in Secondary Transition and Post School Results at Education Service Center Region 11 are pleased to announce that the Texas Transition and Employment Guide has been posted to the Transition in Texas website located at www.transitionintexas.org. The purpose of this guide is to provide information on statewide services and programs that assist students with disabilities in the transition to life outside of the public school system.
Transition happens any time your student moves from one stage of life to the next. Transition in the IEP focuses specifically on the move from high school to post graduation and adult life. The following questions are addressed:
- What will the student do after high school?
- Will the student work?
- Will the student attend college, vocational school, or some other post-secondary training?
- What supports will the student need?
- Who will provide the supports?
The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act of 2004 (IDEA 2004) defines Secondary Transition or “transition services” as a coordinated set of activities for a student with a disability that:
- Is designed to be within a results-oriented process, that is focused on improving the academic and functional achievement of the student with a disability to facilitate the student’s movement from school to post-school activities, including postsecondary education, vocational education, integrated employment (including supported employment); continuing and adult education, adult services, independent living, or community participation;
- Is based on the individual student’s needs, taking into account the student’s strengths, preferences, and interests; and
- Includes instruction, related services, community experiences, the development of employment and other post-school adult living objectives, and, if appropriate, acquisition of daily living skills and functional vocational evaluation
The following links provide additional information regarding the transition from high school to adult life.
- Graduation Toolkit – Texas Education Agency
- Transition Symbaloo
- Transition in Texas - from Region XI and TEA
- Texas Project FIRST - Families, Information, Resources, Support and Training
- Texas Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services
- Mental Health, Mental Retardation of Tarrant County
- Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services
- Texas Health and Human Services Commission
- Social Security, Supplemental Security Income
- Navigate Life Texas