Identifying Potential Threats
Tips for Identifying Potential Threats and Risk Indicators
Oftentimes, there are signs and indicators associated with targeted violence that can help us in identifying a potential threat. Here are some questions to ponder in helping to prevent a potential threat from escalating or possibly starting:
- Has there been a shift toward a threat of extreme aggression or violence?
- Have there been threatening communications suggesting a potentially violent attack?
- Are there indications of a specific target or targets?
- Are there indications of a motive, goal or justification for a severe or lethal attack?
- Are there any indications of behavior that increase the possibility of violence occurring?
- Are actions and behaviors consistent with communications?
- Is there peer collaboration?
- Are alternatives and emotional coping reserves decreasing?
- Are there indications of suicidal thoughts?
- Are there personality or behavioral traits, family dynamics, school system issues, or social dynamics that lead to a more vulnerable and potentially dangerous situation?