School Health Advisory Committee
A School Health Advisory Committee (SHAC) is a state-mandated advisory council appointed by the school board. Members are approved by the school board for a one-year term. It is made up of parents, community members, students and school staff working together to improve the health of all students and families through coordinated school health programs.
Why do we need a School Health Advisory Council (SHAC)?
- It is Texas law.
- Healthy children learn better.
- Schools play an important role in teaching healthy habits.
- Healthy homes and healthy schools support healthy children.
What is included in a coordinated school health program (CSHP)? The components of a coordinated school health program include:
- Family and community involvement
- Nutrition services
- Physical education
- Health education
- Counseling, psychological and social services
- Health services
- Healthy school environment
- Health promotion for school staff
Agendas, Minutes, Recordings
For the most recent School Health Advisory Council meeting agendas, meeting minutes and recordings, please visit this page.
MISD District Members
- Rita Denton, Director of Student Nutrition
- Amy Senato, Elementary Science/P.E. Coordinator
- Michelle Hurst, Secondary Science/Health Coordinator
- Elisa Watkins, Health Services LVN Supervisor/Resource Nurse
- Dorian Watson, Health Teacher at Legacy High School
- Jennifer Powers, Director of Guidance and Counseling
- Mendy Gregory, Director of Social Emotional Learning
- Bruno Dias, Director of Safety and Security
- Amy Taylor, Milwood Hospital
- Laura Sweatt, Magnet Director for Methodist Mansfield Medical Center
- Kristen Sutton, Director of Community Engagement Texas Health
- Debbie Van Cleave, MISD parent
- Gina Williams, MISD parent
- Jae Hill, MISD parent
- Joseph Jenkins, MISD parent
- Karen Tecklenburg, MISD
- Latoya Savoie, MISD parent
- Marisela Aramino, MISD parent
- Nicole Flores, MISD parent
- Nicole Lujan, MISD parent
- Mike McCown, MISD Parent
- Shelley Jones, MISD parent
- Scherron Richard, MISD parent
- Sheryl Taylor-Fingers, MISD parent
- Steffanie Steelhammer, MISD parent
- Tiffany Mylett, MISD parent
- VanDella Menifee, MISD parent
- Wendy Thacker, MISD Parent
- Student ambassadors from each traditional high school
Interested in participating in the SHAC committee? Please contact Margaret Couldron at MargaretCouldron@misdmail.org.
SHAC Helpful Links
- Textbook: www.mhschool.com/health/2005/student/index.html
- American Diabetes Association: www.diabetes.org
- Texas Dept. of State Health Services: www.dshs.state.tx.us/schoolhealth/csh.shtm
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention: www.cdc.gov/healthyyouth
- Physical Education: www.sparkpe.org
- Parenting and Paternity Awareness: www.oag.state.tx.us/cs/ofi/papa/
House Bill 1525
Relates to updated procedures in recommending human sexuality instruction curriculum and changes in SHAC meeting requirements to include posting a notice of the meeting, recording the meeting and posting minutes to school district website. Review the house bill.