Student Health Advisory Committee
A Student Health Advisory Committee (SHAC) is a state-mandated advisory council appointed by the school board. Members are approved by the school board for a one-year term. It is made up of parents, community members, students, and school staff working together to improve the health of all students and families through coordinated school health programs.
Why do we need a School Health Advisory Council (SHAC)?
- It is Texas law.
- Healthy children learn better.
- Schools play an important role in teaching healthy habits.
- Healthy homes and healthy schools support healthy children.
What is included in a coordinated school health program (CSHP)? The components of a coordinated school health program include:
- Family and community involvement
- Nutrition services
- Physical education
- Health education
- Counseling, psychological and social services
- Health services
- Healthy school environment
- Health promotion for school staff
SHAC Meeting Agendas
MISD District Members
- Rita Denton, Director of Student Nutrition
- Jennifer Powers, Director of Guidance and Counseling
- Amy Senato, Elementary Science/P.E. Coordinator
- Michelle Hurst, Secondary Science/Health Coordinator
- Elisa Watkins, Health Services LVN Supervisor/Resource Nurse
- Amanda Shingleton, Health Teacher at Legacy High School
- Techonia McDow, Milwood
- Laura Sweatt, Magnet Director for Methodist Mansfield Medical Center
- Tania Sosa. MISD parent
- Nicole McCulloch, MISD parent
- Rebekka Garcia, MISD parent
- Tara Harris, MISD parent
- Jennifer Jenkin, MISD parent
- Cindy Flowers, MISD parent
- Karen Tecklenburg, MISD parent
- Vi Vu, Frontier High School student
- Amanda Swanbert, Frontier High School student
- Mary Akintade, Summit High School student
- Julia Brown, Mansfield High School student
- Vivian Nguyen, Lake Ridge High School student
- Alexandra Tatum, Timberview High School student
- William Menifee, Timberview High School student
- Yunah Song, Legacy High School student
Interested in participating in the SHAC committee? Please contact Michelle Hurst at email@example.com.
SHAC Helpful Links
- Textbook: www.mhschool.com/health/2005/student/index.html
- American Diabetes Association: www.diabetes.org
- Texas Dept. of State Health Services: www.dshs.state.tx.us/schoolhealth/csh.shtm
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention: www.cdc.gov/healthyyouth
- Physical Education: www.sparkpe.org
- Parenting and Paternity Awareness: www.oag.state.tx.us/cs/ofi/papa/