School of Choice in North MISD
A new school of choice is coming to the northern part of Mansfield ISD. A committee was formed to study choice opportunities in the area. The committee recommended the district provide a school of choice in North Mansfield ISD to ensure equity of choice and to make more efficient use of the existing facilities.
For details about the school and the changes it will bring to schools in North MISD, review the following list of frequently asked questions:
- Is there a difference between a choice school and a branded school?
- The new school will start with grades 6-8. Is there a plan to get it to grades 6-12?
- Is there another 6-12 school in the Mansfield ISD?
- Has the new school of choice been given a name?
- Will this school of choice look like Frontier HS?
- Will the school of choice require tuition?
- Is there a maximum number of students for each grade level?
- Once students are accepted into the school of choice, will they have to apply each year?
- If students start at the school of choice but want to return to their home campus, is that allowed?
- Have the entry/eligibility requirements and the application process been established?
- Does my student have to attend the school of choice?
- Will special education students be allowed to attend the school of choice?
- Will students be required to wear uniforms?
- Will the school of choice accept outside transfers from other districts?
- Will the child of a teacher who does not currently live in MISD but attends MISD schools be allowed to apply to the school of choice?
- Will students be able to access Ben Barber?
- The Jerry Knight STEM Academy looks at curriculum from an Engineering focus. What about the new school of choice?
- Is there a district transfer timeframe?
- Is there a reason for creating a school of choice in north MISD?
- Will there be enough student interest from our community for the school of choice?
- Is MISD targeting a specific population for the new school of choice?
- Can my student have concurrent applications at multiple choice campuses?
- Have the school hours been established?
- Has there been consideration for creating a school of choice for grades K-5 that would feed into the 6-12 school of choice?
- Does my student have options if we do not apply to the school of choice?
- If students do not apply for the 21-22 school year, can they apply to join an existing grade level in future years?
- Has consideration been given to keep sixth grade at Cross Timbers Intermediate in 2021 to avoid multiple transitions?
- Is there special consideration for siblings?
- Will the school of choice students have homework?
- Are students from north MISD still eligible for the other schools of choice in the district?
- What is the advantage of attending the new school of choice?
- Will students with dyslexia have services provided at the new school of choice?
- Is there a timeline for information to be shared with students, parents and community regarding the new school of choice?
- Will parking be expanded at Cross Timbers Intermediate to accommodate students who drive?
- Will there be an opportunity for AP courses? TCC courses?
- Will the school of choice be like an International Baccalaureate (IB) program?
- Will the curriculum look different at the school of choice?
- Will the students at the school of choice still be required to take the state STAAR/EOC tests?
- Will students be able to get the necessary credits to graduate and go to college?
- Will students be prepared for AP, SAT and ACT exams?
- Will there be a grading system?
- If students decide to return to their home campus once they are in high school, will they be behind on high school credits?
- Is MISD considering opening a Gift/Talented (GT) campus in the north side at some point?
- Will fourth-grade students still participate in graduation?
- Will the addition of fifth grade to the elementary result in a review of a campus’ Title I status?
- Will keeping fifth grade at the elementary schools affect the state accountability rating?
- Will there still be room for pre-K at the elementary schools when fifth graders are added?
- Will classes at the elementary schools be larger to accommodate the new school of choice?
- Will there be opportunities for the elementary schools in north Mansfield ISD to become branded schools (leadership academies, etc.)?
- Do we have enough space for fifth-grade science?
- Are the North Mansfield ISD elementary schools the only ones that are going to be for preK-5?
- Will there be additional funds for the elementary schools because of the addition of fifth grade?
- Will a fifth-grade team look the same at elementary as it did at intermediate?
- Will fifth grade still have access to band, choir and orchestra?
- Will pre-kindergarten be added to the elementary schools?
- Will you be able to accommodate parents if they are not comfortable with the Grade 6-8 configuration?
- Will there be a plan for the transition of sixth grade to T.A. Howard Middle School?
- Can T.A. Howard Middle School accommodate the addition of sixth grade?
- Will the QUEST program be available for the sixth graders at T.A. Howard Middle School?
- Will there be additional lockers added to accommodate the sixth grade?
- Are additional restrooms being added with the new classroom additions?
- Will there be additional staff parking at T.A. Howard Middle School?
- What technology devices will the sixth grade have at T.A. Howard Middle School?
- Will the school of choice have extracurricular activities like band, athletics and choir?
- Is there a plan to ensure excellence in our band program and fine arts programs?
- Can students attend the school of choice and participate in athletics at their home campus?
- Will the fifth-graders at the elementary schools still have access to band, P.E. and orchestra?
- Will the school of choice have a nurse?
- Will the school of choice impact the staff at Cross Timbers?
- Will there be additional teachers/staff for the elementary schools due to an increase in students with the fifth-graders staying on campus?
- Is it possible that the number of campus administrators will change at the elementary and middle schools?
- Will the furniture, equipment and materials remain at the school of choice campus?
- Is consideration being made for the space required for electives provided at T.A. Howard Middle School?
- Will temporary buildings be added to the elementary schools to accommodate the fifth-graders?
- Will there be enough room at T.A. Howard Middle School when you add the sixth-graders?
For more information, please contact the MISD Curriculum & Instruction Department at 682-314-1647.