Special Events & Awards
The Communications & Marketing Department organizes and coordinates several events and awards each year that recognize and celebrate the contributions of employees, students and volunteers.
- Back-to-School Bash - The event is meant to bring the community together for a day of family fun, while providing various free resources to MISD students.
- MISD Convocation – Convocation is a pep rally for all MISD staff before the start of the school year to energetically welcome everyone back from the summer and refocus on the upcoming school year.
- School and Facility Dedications – When new campuses or facilities are dedicated, the Communications & Marketing Department facilities the dedication or re-dedication ceremony.
- Employee Recognition Banquet – The end-of-the-year employee banquet honors employees with 20, 25 and 30 years of service, retirees, Teachers of the Year, Ambassador of Education and Shining Stars (non-teaching staff).
- Heartbeat Award - The award was established in January 2003 to recognize employees who display heart in their lives and inspire other district employees through their actions. In 2019, the award was added to the list of honorees at the annual Employee Recognition Banquet.
- Trusted Hero Award - The award was established in September 2021 to recognize staff members who have gone above and beyond in support of students and families. Winners are awarded $250 from Texas Trust and are formally recognized at a school board meeting.