Why are the tests changing and how?
The TEA has announced expected significant changes to the A–F accountability process that will begin to impact students, schools and districts in 2023.
What is A–F?
The A–F Accountability System is a statewide rating system established by the Texas Education Agency (TEA) that allows them to evaluate the academic performance of Texas public schools and assign a letter grade (A–F) to districts and campuses.
The A–F Accountability overall measures what students are learning in each grade and whether or not they are ready for the next grade. It also shows how well a school prepares their students for success after high school - in college, the workforce or the military.
The accountability ratings evaluate three domains:
- Student Achievement – Student Achievement measures whether students met expectations on the state standardized (STAAR/End of Course) tests. It also measures graduation rates and how prepared students are for success after high school.
- School Progress – School Progress shows how students perform over time and how the school's performance compares to other schools with similar economically disadvantaged student populations.
- Closing the Gaps – Closing the Gaps tells us how well a school or district is ensuring all student groups are successful.
How Does Mansfield ISD Rank?
Mansfield ISD received a “B” rating for the 2021-2022 school year. During the 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 school years, ratings were paused due to disruptions associated with COVID-19. Before the disruptions, Mansfield ISD received an "A" rating for the 2018-2019 and the 2017-2018 school years.
For more detailed information on MISD’s district and campus ratings, visit TXSchools.gov.
Proposed Changes to the A–F Accountability Ratings
The TEA has announced expected significant changes to the A–F accountability process that will begin to impact students, schools and districts in 2023. While the changes are still preliminary, districts across the state are preparing staff and the community for the changes, which are expected to be finalized in summer 2023.
Some of the proposed changes include:
Timeline for A–F Accountability Rating Changes
- Spring 2023 – STAAR Testing window for students with new changes incorporated
- May/June 2023 – Preliminary Assessment Reports with raw scores only available
- Summer 2023 – All A-F Accountability changes finalized and final 2023 manual for districts and the public will be published.
- August 2023 – Families receive final STAAR results
- Fall 2023 – Districts and campuses will receive A-F Accountability Ratings
Frequently Asked Questions
What do some of the proposed changes include? These questions and more are answered in a short video series of frequently asked questions. Watch the videos below to learn more about the rating system.
What changes are on the STAAR Test?
How are campuses rated?
How is MISD making students ready beyond high school?
For more information, visit the TEA A-F Accountability page.