Elementary Dual Language
Dual Language | Participating Schools | Curriculum
Mansfield ISD is committed to providing a quality Dual Language Program where students develop a high level of academic and linguistic proficiency in two languages by participating in a rigorous academic program that enhances the development of bilingualism, biculturalism, and bi-literacy so that students will graduate ready for college, career, and life in a globally competitive economy.
Enable ELLs to become competent in listening, speaking, reading, and writing of English through the development of literacy and academic skills in the primary language and English
Emphasize mastery of English language skills, as well as math, science, and social studies
Use instructional approaches designed to meet the needs of ELLs
Be an integral part of the total school program
Utilize the essential knowledge and skills required by the state as the curriculum
In MISD, we offer a 1-way Dual Language program that consist of all native Spanish speaking students who are taught 50% English and 50% Spanish throughout the day using a modified version of the Gomez and Gomez model for the delivery of instruction.
MISD Dual Language Instructional Model
Reading, Language Arts and Social Studies
- Pre-K, Kinder, & Grade 1 - in native language only
- Grade 2 through Grade 5 - in both languages
Mathematics and Science
- Pre-K through Grade 5 - In English
Advantages of a Dual Language Program
- Students in dual language programs do as well or better than students learning only in English on standardized tests given in English.
- Learning a language positively impacts the structure and cognitive functions of the brain. This in turn can lead to respect of multiple cultural heritages and languages that build friendships that cross class language boundaries.
- Increases the marketable skills in a global society.
- Dual language is the only program for ELLs that definitively closes the achievement gap.