Kindergarten Roundup 2017
Attention All Incoming Pre-K & Kindergarten Families:
Join us for early registration for the 2017-18 school year at your child's home campus during Pre-K & Kindergarten Roundup on Thursday, April 20. Incoming kindergarten families will be able to tour the campus, participate in scheduled activities, get necessary vaccinations, and gather valuable information to prepare for the start of the year.
The Roundup will be held at your home elementary campus during the following two time slots. Parents, feel free to come during either time:
9:00 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
4:30 p.m. - 6:30 p.m.
For complete details, contact your home campus. Don't know your home campus? Use the Web Query System to determine which campus your child is zoned to attend.
Informational Flyers - English | Español | Việt | العربية
Back to School Immunization Clinic
Passport Health/North Texas is also hosting a shot clinic for ALL students during Pre-K & Kindergarten Roundup from 9 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. AND 4:30 p.m. - 6:30 p.m. at Alice Ponder Elementary School (101 Pleasant Ridge Drive, Mansfield, Texas 76063) to administer vaccinations for required back-to-school immunizations.
For more information about insurances accepted and vaccinations being offered, please contact the Health Services Department or download the flyer.
Getting Ready for Kindergarten
Kindergarten today is different in many ways than when you attended school. Many children come to Kindergarten with previous preschool or day care experience. Even though your child won’t begin school until the fall, there are many things you can do now to prepare him/her for kindergarten. Here are some ideas:
- Make sure your child knows as many alphabet letters as possible, both upper and lower case. Practice them in random order.
- Help your child learn the sound for each of the letters. You can visit (www.havefunteaching.com)
- Read with your child on a regular basis. Point out the title, author, front cover, back cover, capital letters.
- Help your child to learn the difference between a letter, a word, and a sentence. Use books, newspapers, and magazines to find letters, words, and sentences. Count the words on a page, the words in the title, etc.
- Be sure your child can write his/her name using a capital letter to start and all lower case for the rest, using a continuous movement.
- Help your child learn his/her shapes and colors.
- Let your child use scissors and practice cutting both on plain paper and on lines.
- Write to your child. Encourage your child to write back even if what he/she writes is just one letter. Let him/her try to sound out words. Try not to spell everything for him/her.
- Please work with your child on self help skills: Help him/her learn to use tissues alone and to practice good hygiene. Work on tying shoes, buckling a belt, buttoning/snapping clothes and zipping a coat.
- Talk about what is more, less, or the same. Use vocabulary such as smaller, larger, longer, shorter, etc.
- Introduce your child to the difference between letters and numbers.
- Help your child learn to recognize numerals at least to 10.
Knowing how to do some or all of these things will help your child be prepared for Kindergarten. We look forward to seeing you and your child in August!