Student Health Advisory Committee (SHAC)
A SHAC is a state-mandated advisory council appointed by the school board. Members are approved by the school board for a one-year term. It is made up of parents, community members, students, and school staff working together to improve the health of all students and families through coordinated school health programs.
Why do we need a School Health Advisory Council (SHAC)?
- It is Texas law.
- Healthy children learn better.
- Schools play an important role in teaching healthy habits.
- Healthy homes and healthy schools support healthy children.
What is included in a coordinated school health program (CSHP)? The components of a coordinated school health program include:
- Family and community involvement
- Nutrition services
- Physical education
- Health education
- Counseling, psychological and social services
- Health services
- Healthy school environment
- Health promotion for school staff
October 7, 2016 | November 4, 2016 | February 3, 2017 | March 9, 2017
2016-17 SHAC Annual Report
MISD District Members
- Holly McCanlies, Director of Guidance & Counseling
- Kelle Kirkland, Health Services Nurse Practitioner
- Fred Garza, K-12 Health Coordinator
- Amy Senato, K-12 P.E. Coordinator/Intermediate Parent
- Adam Jinkens, Health Teacher at Jobe MS
- Denise Hayslip, Student Nutrition
- Freddie Matthews, Sheppard ES Parent
- Wendy Davis, Asa Low IS Parent
- Ashley Gordon, Mary Orr IS Parent
- Vicki Barrington, Worley MS Parent
- Cindy Flowers, Legacy HS & Jobe MS Parent
- Lisa Hudgins, Mansfield HS Parent
- Dawn Stewart, Summit HS Parent
- Quyanna Holmes, Timberview HS Parent / Human Resources Manager @ Omnitracs
- Rosanna Gibson, Lake Ridge HS Parent
- Lezlie Waller, Legacy HS Parent
- Victoria Lott, Save a Life Community
- Donna Crimmins-Bonnell, Director of Quality @ Methodist Mansfield Medical Center
- Carrigan Hudgins, Mansfield HS Student
- Caleb Stewart, Summit HS Student
- Temitoro Edun, Timberview HS Student
- Princy Geevarghese, Frontier HS Student
- Claire Francis, Legacy HS Student
- Christian Gibson, Lake Ridge HS Student
SHAC Helpful Links