UPDATED 10:00 a.m., August 27
Mansfield, TX – The Alice Ponder Elementary School building will be demolished beginning approximately at 9:00 a.m., Monday, August 26 to make way for the new school construction. Ponder Elementary demolition site is located at 102 Pleasant Ridge Rd., Mansfield, TX 76063.
The transition and new construction of Mansfield ISD's five oldest elementary schools has begun. A 2011 bond election ($198.5 million) was called and approved to completely rebuild the following schools to provide equity across the district:
- Tarver-Rendon Elementary – opened Jan, 1971 (school originally opened in 1911)
- J.L. Boren Elementary – opened in 1979
- Alice Ponder Elementary – opened in 1967
- Glenn Harmon Elementary – opened in 1988
- Charlotte Anderson Elementary – opened 1986
The rebuilding portion of the 2011 bond program is a $69 million plan to demolish and rebuild five elementary schools. The bond program also includes safety, security and technology upgrades and other improvements for the remaining 37 campuses in Mansfield ISD.
Demolition of Boren Elementary began earlier in the summer on Monday, July 29, 2013. See the photo gallery
- Tarver-Rendon Elementary students moved into their new building located at 6065 Retta Mansfield Road, Burleson, TX 76028.
- Ponder Elementary students moved into the old Tarver-Rendon building while their new facility is being demolished and rebuilt. (12350 Rendon Road, Burleson, TX 76028)
- Boren Elementary students moved into Judy K. Miller Elementary while their new facility is being demolished and rebuilt.
- Judy K. Miller Elementary is located at 403 N. Holland Road, Mansfield, Texas 76063.
Late Fall 2014
- Boren Elementary students will move from Judy K. Miller Elementary into their new facility.
- Ponder Elementary students will move from the old Tarver-Rendon building into their new facility.
- Harmon Elementary students will move into Judy K. Miller Elementary while their new facility is being demolished and rebuilt.
The Big Move: The MISD New Schools Transition/Construction Schedule shows the tentative dates for the transition and new construction for all five elementary schools.
Originally published on July 24, 2013